I have reached the middle point of the holiday break and still holding on to my sanity! Don’t get me wrong I LOVE my kids, but my Eldest has the worst case of verbal diarrhoea, (an affliction he apparently inherited from me), and from the time he wakes up to the time he goes to sleep it is non-stop chatter, questions and commentary! Wee One can still attend his little playgroup in the mornings but once he awakes from his afternoon slumber it is as if somebody has let the Tasmanian Devil lose in my house!
So due to lack of energy and time for any thoughts whatsoever I am entertaining you all with a meme I read on Charlotte’s Web. It looked like fun and sometimes it is fun recalling a few firsts in ones life!
Here are my 25 Firsts: –
1. Who was your first prom date? Proms are not really done in South Africa but we do have a “Matric Dance” which I have always believed to be similar. The high school I attended was co-ed (boys and girls) and for some or other harsh reason we had to go to the dance with somebody in our year from our school. My date for the evening was a Robert, who did driving lessons before school started so that he would be able to get his drivers license and drive us to the dance. There was no romance there whatsoever, well at least not from my side, as I had just met my ‘Future Hubby’. I do believe, thinking back, I could have been a better date to Robert.
2. Do you still talk to your first love? The young dude who I thought was my first love was probably my first crush, the last time I spoke to him was as I was leaving to study at University. My first ‘real’ love was and still is Hubby and thankfully after nearly 10 years of marriage we still talk!
3. What was your first alcoholic drink? Mmm, at a sleepover, me and two of my friends got into Mom and Dads drinks cabinet and had a few tastings of “Irish Cream”. Luckily, my parents were never big drinkers and Mom only found out about my bit of mischief months later!
4. What was your first job? Doing children’s shows for a promotions company.
5. What was your first car? A lovable little blue and white VW Citi Golf! He came to our family with the name Henry and when we had to part ways I vowed never to get into a personal relationship with a car again! It broke my heart!
6. Who was the first person to text you today? A dear friend of mine who is also at home with her energetic little boys! We are hoping to join forces tomorrow and brave the madness!
7. Who was the first person you thought of this morning? Batman. I didn’t have a choice my Eldest woke me up dressed in his Batman outfit asking me to tie on his cape for him.
8. Who was your first grade teacher? A Mrs Swart, I will always remember her as the person who taught me to read, something I had always wanted to do!
9. Where did you go on your first flight in a plane? My first flight was with my mom and brother to the then “South West Africa” now known as Namibia to visit my grandparents who had recently relocated there from Cape Town.
10. Who was your first best friend and do you still talk? A stunning person, Leanne, who I was always in contact with even after my parents relocated to KwaZulu-Natal. We lost touch after the Varsity Years but actually saw each other over Christmas last year again. Facebook is good for some things after all!
11. Where was your first sleepover? Funnily enough at Leanne’s, a whole group of us decided to form a band and practice our music at her house as she had a ‘loft room’. I think we still disturbed her parents with our noise at 2 am!
12. Who was the first person you talked to today? Its a bit fuzzy, either it was my Eldest son dressed as Batman or Hubby who brought me coffee in bed to ensure that I got out of bed as he was leaving for work in half an hour. Being a deep sleeper has its drawbacks!
13. Whose wedding were you in for the first time? Not that I remember but apparently my Aunts as a flower girl.
14. What was the first thing you did this morning? Tied on ‘Batman’s’ cape!
15. What was the first concert you went to? If memory serves, it was a “Live” concert.
16. First tattoo? What? And have it sag half way down my body as I age – no thanks!
17. First piercing? None! Mom had me facing the ‘firing’ squad’ for my first set of earrings at 3 years of age and Dad thundered into the jewellers, whipped me off the chair saying “If God wanted my daughter to have holes in her ears he would have made her that way.” I never bothered to get them done or had any desire to wear them.
18. First foreign country you went to? Deutschland.
19. First movie you remember seeing? Bambi and I balled the whole way through from the moment Bambi lost his mommy! Nothing else mattered – Bambi didn’t have a mommy and that was earth shattering to my 4 year old mind!
20. What state did you first live in? I was born in the Western Cape, the province that boasts fine wines and Table Mountain.
21. Who was your first room mate? A strong and brave girl at Uni, named Wandi, who I have sadly lost touch with. I often wonder where or what she is doing in the world.
22. When was your first detention? Who me? I was the good girl! ; )
23. If you had one wish what would it be? To live in a crime free South Africa, now wouldn’t that be paradise?
24. What is one thing you would learn, given the chance? Homeopathy. Although the chemistry side leaves me paralysed with fear!
25. Who will be the next person to post this? Whoever would like a trip down memory lane!