Ten years ago….
1. I woke up very tired.
2. I was very unhappy that it was raining!
3. I had my hair done and had a friend ramp the pavement in front of the salon with my car so I didn’t get my hair wet when stepping outside.
4. I sat around in a sliver dressing gown drinking tea with my closest friends.
5. I had my make up done professionally and posed for countless photographs in a beautiful garden.
6. I made my Dad cry.
7. I held my Dad’s hand and my brother drove us to a beautiful church.
8. I walked down the aisle towards my fiance.
9. I promised to love, cherish and honour the most amazing man.
10. I walked up the aisle, the wife of this most amazing man.
Tonight I will celebrate this day a little differently than I did 10 years ago. There will be no extended family and friends, there will be no speeches, there will be no buffet style dinner with 3 different deserts and there will be no dance floor.
Tonight, we will order our food – take away – from our favourite restaurant, we will sit together in the comfort of our own home, we will open a bottle of 2000 Backsberg Pinotage, kept for this very occasion, and we will dance together, to the song we did 10 years ago, on our living room rug.